Right Click Menu Items
The availability of rich right-click menus makes MacroView DMF® feel familiar to Windows users. MacroView Professional Services can create additional items on these right-click menus. Items with sub-menus can also be added. Customizing right-click menu items is a very convenient way for users to perform tasks, such as:
- New Client item that appears when a user right-clicks on a Clients site in the MacroView tree-view display can provision a new Client site and / or document library
- Workflow item that appears when a user right-clicks on a document in a MacroView file list makes it easy to advance the document to the next stage in its workflow
Favorites allow very rapid navigation to areas of the SharePoint document store that you work with frequently – not surprisingly they are a very popular feature of MacroView DMF.
You can add your own Favorites, and Favorites can also be created for you automatically by the Push Favorites mechanism. MacroView Professional Services can work with your IT specialists to configure the Push Favorites mechanism for your organization.
Here are some sample configurations :
- Automatically create Favorites for each user corresponding to the Projects / Cases / Matters to which the user has been assigned as a timekeeper in a Practice Management or CRM system .
- Use SharePoint lists to control the operation of Push Favorites.
- Automatically push the Favorites to related users – e.g. a Personal Assistant receives the same Favorites as his / her Manager
Localization / Branding
MacroView Professional Services can customize the wording of commands, messages and menu items displayed by MacroView DMF so that they reflect the desired branding in your organization. E.g. instead of a “Save to SharePoint” button in Word, you can see a “Save to Acme Docs” button. Such re-branding can be a good way to build user adoption.
Localization / branding applies even if you are using a Language other than English.
Custom Search Panels
The Search feature of MacroView DMF is an excellent way to build user satisfaction. Providing a particular group of users with a DMF Search panel that reflects they way they use metadata and keywords makes their search experience both easier and more productive.
MacroView Professional Services can work with your IT specialists to create additional DMF Search panels that are custom-tailored to your organization. If necessary the new search panels can contain custom controls – controls that are not supported by DMF Search panels out-of-the-box. An example is a picker for a hierarchical Term Set.
Block Saving of Certain Emails
MacroView Professional Services can custom configure the email saving mechanism of MacroView DMF so that the user is blocked from saving certain types of emails. An example is emails that have been stubbed by Enterprise Vault. Alternatively the system can be configured to display a warning message rather than totally block the save.
Profiling Dialog Customization
To display the profiling dialog MacroView DMF examines the metadata definition of the destination library, document set or folder and uses a standard control corresponding to each type of metadata column. MacroView Professional Services can customise the way the profiling dialog is displayed in a variety of ways, which can enable the creation of more effective document solutions:
- Change the screen controls used to capture a standard metadata column type – e.g. access an external data source to set the value of a Single Line of Text column
- Provide screen control to capture a custom metadata column type – e.g. a Bamboo Lookup Selector or a Sparqube Lookup.
- Record metadata in columns other than those that would normally be displayed or recorded by the profiling dialog – e.g. to automatically record email attributes in metadata columns different to those normally used by MacroView DMF.
- Record metadata in columns by appropriate use of Server Side Caching and the Files to display setting.
- Perform additional processing related to the captured metadata – e.g. the picker for a Project value can have a New button which displays a sub-form to prompt for further details of a new Project and record those details in a CRM system.
Search Site Tree Customization
The Search Site Tree command of MacroView DMF uses the SharePoint Search engine to rapidly navigate around an arbitrarily large SharePoint document store. MacroView Professional Services can customize this popular and powerful command in a number of ways:
- Restrict the types of node being searched for – e.g. only Document Sets
- Search for non-standard node types – e.g. custom containers based on document libraries
- Set initial defaults for node type to search for – e.g. Sites pre-selected by default, but not Folders.
- Change the labelling of node types – e.g. relabel Sites to Client
- Use a custom web service to perform the search
Document Creation Customizations
Including commands to create new documents makes a document management solution more complete and significantly more convenient for its users. An example is the Create New Document right-click command in MacroView Case & Matter.
MacroView Professional Services is uniquely well placed to create document creation customizations for your MacroView DMF implementation. We can include best-practice features and functionality based on our extensive experience with custom Microsoft Office template solutions.
Invoking MacroView DMF from Other Applications
If you have other applications that access documents stored in SharePoint you can provide your users with an improved experience by having those applications use the familiar MacroView DMF dialogs for opening and saving documents in the SharePoint document store.
For example users of a custom .NET application could use the MacroView Open from SharePoint dialog to locate and open the documents that they want to work with. All the modes of the Open from SharePoint dialog are available, so that the user could locate documents using Search, Browse, Favorites or Recents.
A specialized form of this capability is available for integrating Microsoft Word, Excel or PowerPoint with SharePoint. As they invoke the Save As to SharePoint command these applications can supply the save location and metadata. By minimizing prompting this Silent Save technique significantly enhances the user experience and is a popular inclusion in Office Template Solutions.
Contact MacroView Professional Services for more information about invoking MacroView DMF from your application(s).
MacroView DMF does not change how documents or their metadata are stored in SharePoint, which means that the full range of out-of-the-box techniques for customizing SharePoint can be utilised in creating document solutions. MacroView Professional Services can assist with these techniques, including:
- Definition of content types and metadata columns
- Definition of Views
- Definition of Metadata Navigation and Key Filters
- Definition of Search Managed Properties
- Custom List Definitions
- Event Receivers (both on-premises and Azure-based for SharePoint Online)